Minnesota State Capitol
The Minnesota State Capital was the first of three Capitols designed by Cass Gilbert. Construction lasted from 1896 to 1905.
SLALCO was chosen to restore and replicate historic fixtures for the House and Senate Chambers (alongside some offices) during a major restoration project from 1988 to 1989. The large, ornate wall sconces in the Chambers were made of plaster and required extensive conservation repairs. The original paint colors and gilding were documented and replicated with real gold leaf. They retain their splendor more than thirty years after the restoration project.
In 1999, the Capitol Commission decided to restore the Capital dining area. SLALCO replicated the hand wrought-iron chandeliers from historic photos, restoring the original Cass Gilbert, rathskeller design.
In 2002, our staff was asked to come to the Capitol to clean, repair, and rewire the rotunda's crystal ball chandelier.
1989 to 1990 Project Architect: Miller-Dunwiddie
BELOW: lighting up the rotunda chandelier.