Hipolito Garcia Federal Building and Courthouse
Designed by local architect Ralph Haywood Cameron and Philadelphia architect Paul Philippe Cret, the Hipolito Garcia Federal Building and Courthouse opened in 1937. It reflects the Beaux Arts style, which was prominent during this era for many civic and federal buildings across the United States. Most notable are the sixteen fresco murals that line the lobby by New Mexican artist Howard Cook. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
SLALCO was asked to remove and restore almost all of the interior and exterior lighting. Many of the fixtures required full teams of people to remove and disassemble them, particularly the massive wall sconces mounted on either side of the courthouses' side entrance, which required cranes for removal and later re-installation.