Gene Snyder Federal Court
Built from 1931 to 1932 by architect James A. Wetmore, The Gene Snyder U.S. Courthouse and Custom House is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture, which strove to embody democratic ideals of government and power. In 1986, the building was renamed in honor of Marion Gene Snyder who was a prominent figure in Kentucky politics, serving several public offices, including U.S. Congressional Representative. In 1999, the Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
SLALCO was asked to create more historically appropriate lighting to replace the flat fluorescent panels that had been installed during the courthouse's renovation in the 1990s. Similar bowl-fixture designs are frequently used in courthouses as their shape resembles the scales on the "Scales of Justice."